Demystifying Abortion Myths In Qatar
Owing to the limited information about the subject, there are many myths that surround abortion in Qatar. As a result, many people have lost their lives or suffered severe consequences that could have been avoided by being a little bit more informed.
There are many false “facts” that are in circulation on the internet trying to scare everyone away from the subject of abortion. Let’s debunk some of the most popular ones.
- 1.All abortions are unsafe. This is a very popular myth and is usually brought up when someone dies after an abortion. This lie is intended to scare any woman thinking about getting an abortion by making her fear for her life. This couldn’t be further from the truth.According to researchers in the Guttmacher Institute and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the likelihood of a woman dying after an abortion is 14 times less than that of dying during childbirth. Yet nobody considers childbirth unsafe. The only time when abortion becomes unsafe is when it is done by untrained personnel. If it’s done legally by qualified abortion doctors in Qatar, then it becomes safer than childbirth.
- 2.Medical Abortions are Unreliable. What most people don’t know is that about one in every five abortions is done using abortion pills. If medical methods were unreliable, they wouldn’t be as popular as they are today.The number of medical abortions is also increasing over the years, which means that more and more women have successfully terminated their pregnancies using abortion pills and other medical methods.
- 3.People who have had abortions regret it to the extent of suffering mental health problems. While it’s common for many women to get mixed feelings before getting an abortion, over 90% of them ultimately feel that they made the right decision. In some instances like when the pregnancy is as a result of rape, keeping the pregnancy might result in more psychological turmoil than an abortion.
- 4.Limiting access to abortion will finish it. Making abortion illegal does little to finish it. It actually does more harm than good because it makes it unsafe. Almost all deaths caused by abortions happen due to unsafe practices done when abortions are administered by unqualified personnel.A close look will show that a big fraction of these abortions happen in places where abortion is illegal. Increasing access to abortion hospitals in Qatar will only help make it safer and reduce deaths.
- 5.Women would not have abortions in Qatar if they know how it felt like to have a child. This is a big lie because more than half the women who seek abortions are mothers. According to Guttmacher Institute, 61% of the women who had abortions in 2008 were mothers. Between 2008 and 2011, 72% of the women seeking abortions in the US were already mothers.
A more practical and factual approach towards the issue of abortions and whether or not to increase the number of abortion clinics in Qatar would greatly help reduce the number of deaths due to unsafe abortions.